Harvard Business Review take a look at the research and advice on how you can help a colleague.
Packed with plenty of down-to-earth advice and with a calm tone, this article highlights well that many of us aren’t trained psychologists and need to be measured and avoid panic when dealing with colleagues.
The article includes some key principles:
Principles to Remember
- Make observations about how your work is being impacted and let the person respond
- Listen in a nonjudgmental way
- Get support from others if you feel the person is in danger or if you feel your job is at risk
- Jump to conclusions about what’s going on — it’s not always a mental health issue
- Push your colleague to share personal details — what she wants to share is up to her
- Become the person’s de facto therapist; point the person to professional help