This article is jam-packed with great advice and stories from people who are living with anxiety.
The main message is - it’s not your job to fix them. If you see someone struggling the best thing you can do is listen.
The summary is this:
“Advice for making the conversation run as smoothly as it can:
- Wait for a situation that naturally gives rise to conversation. It might be during a car trip or over a coffee at a cafe.
- Invite conversation, but don't try to solve the other person's problems. "Don't put that pressure on yourself," Rick says.
- Give priority to listening. Don't jump in to offer solutions immediately. It often leaves the other person feeling misunderstood.
- Listen without judgement.
- Ask what you can do to help.”